Monday, April 02, 2012

We're Moving!

To get those up to speed who don't know, Corbin got accepted to Cornell in Ithaca, New York! We'll be moving out there in August, and I've got lots of questions that I'd love some advice on. If you have any thoughts, please leave a comment here or on facebook.

Packing
We're not taking a whole lot of stuff. We're selling our couch, coffee table, TV, and some other large-ish stuff. Any good places to get boxes?
Any things (besides the obvious) that I should pack specially?


I've been doing a lot of research on moving trucks, pods, and van space. Corbin's dream is to do one of the two latter choices, then drive our little Kia to Ithaca. I think the thought of driving a big moving truck across the country is distasteful to him. What is the cheapest option, accounting for gas and everything?


Driving
So it will be a 2,000 mile trip. Theo will be about 7 months old when we go. What would be the best way to do this road trip? I'm thinking we'll stop about every 500 miles and sleeping in a motel. Here's my map.

It would take us 4 days. We'd be taking a lot of breaks for the baby of course. What are some good tricks for keeping a 7 month old happy in the car for 4 days?

I'm so excited to go to a new place with new adventures awaiting. I'm excited to have a new apartment and decorate it how I want. I'm excited to explore Cornell's campus, with it's waterfalls and stately buildings. And I'm excited for Corbin starting his PhD in PAM (Policy Analysis and Management). It's close to economics, which is what his undergrad is in.
Along with all my excitement, I'm getting more and more nervous about how different life will be. No matter the nerves, I know it will be great.


If you have any advice on one, some, or all of my questions, I'd really love to hear it. Thanks!

2 comments:

the Smiths said...

Oh i have so much to say! moving is a beast. you need to do the math for a Uhaul/truck+estimated gas and then get quotes for other moving options and decide what you you would pay not to drive a moving truck.

Having driven a uhaul in August I wish I had used ABF, I would really consider that especially with gas prices. We even lost a tire on our Uhaul and I was in a car driving by myself with the two kids I would have paid anything to have gerald with me. Pods quoted us at $10,000 then went down to $7,000. so that was a no.

ask around for diaper boxes, or ask at a grocery store and you can always buy them at a Uhaul store.

donate anything you don't really need to live with.

Aurora was 8 months when we moved to Utah and she slept a lot which was awesome and I was in the back with her almost the entire drive. I would feed her baby food in the car seat and some music and a few toys, keep the sun out of the babes eyes. But there is a really good chance he will still hate being in the car that long so good luck!

So exciting!

kdstentzel said...

That's so exciting! I've never moved across the country or moved with a baby, so I really don't have any advice.

I will say though that Craigslist is a pretty good source for moving boxes, or just posting an announcement on Facebook might get you some freebies.

Good luck, I'm gonna miss seeing you guys at Holly's parties!