Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Braaaaains!

Today has been a little rough.  I have a cold, which lessens my tolerance for Theo's griping when he wants something to eat, or wants me to hold him, or wants to go outside when it's raining, or wants a pacifier (we're weaning).  Pretty much all I wanted to do today was sit around.  All you mothers who have had toddlers know, that's not happening. 


I made an executive decision that it was a pizza night.  I pretty much never do this, so I didn't feel bad letting one night of not cooking slide.  Plus, we got to go to campus with our tasty dish and share with Daddy!

Corbin loves showing off his cute son to all his friends, and fortunately Theo was in a mood to show off.  We even went down to the psychology floor, and look at the case of brains on display. I think they are the brains of fancy Cornell people from like a hundred years ago.  That's when you know you've made it big, when you're so cool they want to put your brain in a huge jar and stick it next to other jarred brains.


Guys, real human brains are surreal.  Theo didn't care for them much, but I think they look fascinating!  (for about 5 minutes.  Any longer, then I start feeling queasy.)

The day ended much better than it had begun.  I can't wait until Corbin takes his last qualifying exam on Monday, so we can have the whole summer to play!


Here is a bigfoot-esque picture of a deer in my back yard.  Ithaca is getting green and luscious.  However, it's almost June, and we haven't had any consistent warm weather.  It's nearly summer here, yet I don't have the confidence in the weather to turn our heat off for the summer season. I guess that's why we're going to the west coast in a couple weeks!


Also, I'd like to give a little eulogy for our incredible neighbors who moved away yesterday. We've only known them for about 10 months, but they have been the greatest blessing in our lives since coming to Ithaca.  I was so nervous about coming to a brand new place, not knowing anyone.  But having the Gullys right upstairs, in almost the exact same situation, we became fast friends.  I don't want this to sound bad, but they were also such convenient friends!  We could count on each other to watch a baby for a few minutes if scheduling got messy, or pass off a baby monitor if we wanted to go out after baby bed time.  Baby swapping for date nights became a sort of granted.  When Valentines day rolled around, we knew that Corbin and I would go out one night, and let Theo play with Ava.  The next night, we swapped.

But even more than that, they are just great people.  Darin made me laugh (mostly on the inside).  Ava gave be sweet snuggles when my own baby would wiggle away.  And Leslie and I had much needed girl's nights away from the bustle of home life.  I will certainly miss them, but I hope they have a wonderful time in Bloomington settling down and making a life there.

No comments: