Friday, January 24, 2014

We made it after all!

Theo and I are here in South America, partying with my sister Shelley and her husband and son.  I can't believe this is real life!

Our journey down here had a rocky start.  We flew out of New York City, so Corbin was lovely and drove us the four or five hours down. But as we were entering the city, the crazy snowy conditions caused us to check up on the flight.  Turns out, everything for the rest of the day was canceled.  NOOO!!

So we ended up driving in terribly snow and traffic for six more hours until we got to our hotel.  Corbin ended up missing his first day of school the next day. But the next morning was spent relaxing and trying to store up energy for the days travels.

Corbin dropped us off at the airport around three o'clock (he wanted to make sure and get out of the city before rush hour and nightfall).  After a teary goodbye, Theo and I were on our own.  We wandered the airport killing time until our flight at 10:30 ish. 

Theo had a great time walking around on the moving sidewalk things, pushing his stroller, and charming every person we passed. He even conned a sweet Brazilian family out of a whole cup of mixed fruit and a granola bar. They even pulled out pens and drew him pictures.  There were so many sweet people who were tender mercies in my long day.

And I am giving a special shout out to Whitney for letting me use her baby leash.  I don't know what I would have done without it, because it gave him just enough freedom to not feel trapped, but it let me reighn him in when he wanted to run in every single direction at once.  So thanks for saving me, Whitney!

When we finally got on the plane, Theo slept the whole night (thank goodness!) There was some shifting every few hours, but I couldn't have asked for more.  When he woke up, we spent the rest of the flight eating and watching movies.  The flight attendants were so sweet and gave him extra juice and yogurt through the flight.

Theo was a super champion through all the driving, waiting, and even flying.  So by the time we got off the plane and made our way through customs, he was a crab.  And of course I was low on energy to deal with him, but I couldn't be mad since he had been so good for the past 36 hours.  But we made it out alive, and Shelley and Jett were waiting for us with sweet smiles and nice cold bottles of water. 

Only as Theo and I were waiting to pick up our bag did I realize it was his second birthday!  The only celebration he got the whole day was a "happy birthday" and a kiss in that moment.  But he didn't care, so neither did I.

We spent the rest of the day letting the kids play and vegging.  We walked down the block to their huge mall and got some Wendy's, and Jett got to show Theo the enormous play place.  I think Theo wasn't quite big enough or emotionally prepared for it.  Our outing didn't last too long.

Anyways, it has been so fun being here with the Allisons and getting to experience a little of the Argentinian life. 

And by the way, one of the best parts is, it's not covered in a foot of snow!  I wore shorts today!  I can't wait to soak it all in!

1 comment:

teridmama said...

Glad he traveled so well! He has proved to be a champion traveler! :-)
I knew people would help you....glad I was right.
Have a good time. It is snowing here right now!