Monday, August 25, 2014

Ruby: the aftermath


My mommy was here for a week after we came home from the hospital. It was so wonderful on so many levels having her here.  She is the first of our family to come visit Ithaca, and I knew she would appreciate all the beauty to be experienced here.  I was glad to get to share it with her.


It was also nice being able to sit around when I wanted to sit around.  I got to take a nap whenever I wanted! Grandma was so awesome when it came to playing with Theo and getting him all kinds of new toys and treats.  What are Grandmas for?

My mom also did all the laundry while she was here, the dishes, picked up the house, went to the store. She pretty much did all the stuff I didn't want to, and I'm so grateful for it!!


Theo was feeling under the weather pretty much the whole time she was here, so we didn't go out and do as many things as I'd planned on. (I guess I had just had a baby too.  It didn't limit me too much, but I didn't have a problem taking it easy) I don't think she was bored though, having two cute kids to play with and snuggle. 


This was three days after I had Ruby.  My mom kept telling me that I’m the woman that all other women hate, because I bounce back from birthing so quickly. I obviously can't take any credit for it, but I'm grateful.  I feel so good; I love having my body back, and being able to snuggle Theo properly. That was one of the top things I was excited to do after I had that baby.



Theo has adjusted well to being a big brother. He’s not interested in holding her, or fawning over her very much, but he does give her frequent unsolicited kisses.  He also places toys, or even his own blankie, on top of her to share with her.  He’s very gentle with her, even when he gets frustrated that I can’t tend to his whims while I’m feeding her. His latest obsessions are Buzz Lightyear, Cars the movie, and the Big Bad Wolf.  He goes around the house talking about the “Baaaad Wolf,” and I know he’ll get along with the Dr. Who fandom well.


Theo is very careful around Ruby, but doesn't quite get what's right.  He brought a trow pillow into the kitchen, and I told him to take it back in the living room.  When I went in a few minutes later, I saw he had put it right on top of Ruby who had fallen asleep on the floor during tummy time.  Nice try, Theo.

One day, we all went outside to hang out.  Ruby was in her bouncy chair, covered in a blanket and hanging out in the grass.  Later Corbin noticed that Ruby's blanket was gone, and he asked Theo about it.  Apparently, he had decided she didn't need it, took it into the house, and came back out to play.  What a love.


She's a lovely baby, sleeping for 5 hour stretches at night, eating really well, and being very patient with her brother's tough love.

Theo is convinced that the bum cream is lotion, and refused to let me wipe it off his face.  The little stinker has gotten into it several times, and each time he wants to rub it around.  This pic will be blackmail someday.


He found the beanie Ruby got in the hospital, and tried to convince me to put it on.  When I said it wouldn't fit, he demonstrated that it would indeed fit by wearing it himself.  He looks like a little fish monger or something.

Corbin loves snuggling his children.  They are all such sweet snuggle friends.


The other night, we were getting Theo ready for bed.  Corbin told him he could take one toy with him, so he turned to his new Cars from Grandma and tried collecting them all up into his hands.  Corbin repeated, "just one, Theo." and helped him put a few back.  When Theo still had two Cars clutched in his hand, he dropped his head down and walked straight to his bed and climbed in.  It was so cute, we couldn't stop him.


I guess I didn't realize how booty-licious I'd become, until it quickly went away after I had Ruby.  I missed the extra cushion when I was sitting on a park bench watching Corbin and Theo play. 


Here is a behind the scenes shot of Jill McCracken doing the newborn photo shoot.  I can't wait to see those pictures!  We also did some family pictures, and those will be wonderful too.  Thanks Jill!!!

What a wonderful little lady!

1 comment:

teridmama said...

Can't wait to see you all!! Love you guys! I am not sure I can live up to Joelle's example!!!