Friday, September 27, 2013

How do you capture quality time?

Theo and his cute friends during mommy group at the park

Last night, Corbin wanted to go play basketball at the church, and I wanted to go to a mom get together to co-op for a quiet book (and if you don't know what that is, check it out.  There are some suuuuper cute ones out there). They both started at 8, so we planned to put Theo to bed at eight on the dot, and leave the baby monitor with our lovely neighbor Jhenah.

In order for our plan to work, Theo needed to actually want to sleep at eight, or else he'd be fussy, and we wouldn't be able to leave right away.  So I decided to tucker him out between dinner and bed time. Corbin was busy with homework, otherwise he would have taken that job to heart!  So I pulled my mattress pillow topper off the bed, and dragged it into the living room.  Theo followed closely behind dragging some pillows off the bed as well.

When he reached the living room, he flopped himself onto the pile of fluffy things, and I knew we would have a good time.  We hit each other with pillows, did a lot of flopping onto the pillow topper, rolled ourselves up in it, read stories snuggled up on it, and even enjoyed a picnic of pretend food on it.  We had a lovely time, and he was thoroughly tuckered out by bed time.

I think what I enjoyed most about our playing is that I made a conscious decision to give Theo my full attention. I put my phone away, which meant no texting, watching videos, checking on facebook, writing myself reminders, nothing.  I didn't daydream about the quiet book, the Taffetas, or what we would do the next day.  I just played with Theo and we had a wonderful time.

I am not sure that I do this enough.  Theo and I spend pretty much all day together, but how much time do I dedicate simply in being with him?  In spending quality time with him?  Usually, it's me cleaning or doing my own thing, with Theo playing near me... or eating.  And how much time is enough time?  When we go to the park, I pay attention to what he wants to do.  But that's usually just running around and exploring.  Moms just slow down the process, so I try to follow behind.  I try and guide him to cool stuff, like frogs, spiders, awesome sticks.  But I don't know if that counts as togetherness time. 

One problem that I continuously try and conquer is my technology dependence, especially my phone.  I am so thankful for it, because I can take cute pictures and instantly upload them to facebook. I can easily video chat with my sisters.  Theo and I can watch The Fox whenever we want.  But some days I take it too far, like checking facebook  a hundred times a day, or watching an hour or two of youtube videos, or searching endlessly for the best crochet ear warmer pattern. 

I think the fact that I acknowledge the problem means that it is conquerable. And I know I'm probably doing better than I think, or let on.  And I know that my just wanting to be a good mommy is in Theo's favor.

Do any of the moms reading this have suggestions, or ways that you spend quality time with your kids? Do you find that it has to be a planned activity, or even a set time in the day?  Or can it be more spontaneous and mundane?   

Theo was great at rodeo tricks, getting on and off the horse while it was moving

1 comment:

Paul Chatfield said...

I love you, Julie!!