Saturday, February 01, 2014

Date Night and Watery Adventures

The Allisons have a babysitter come once a week, and on Thursday she had two cute blondies instead of one.  Valeria was very sweet and took good care of Theo, even though he was exhausted even before we left.

 

 We walked to an incredible book store.  It is a repurposed theater, and it's gorgeous inside. We spent the first few minutes inside just enjoying the air conditioner and craning our necks to look at the beautiful paintings on the ceiling.

 

We didn't stay for too long, only enough time to choose a Clifford book for Jett and to brows some tourism books.

Afterwards, we went nextdoor to a yummy restaurant.  Our waiter was very sweet and tried to speak English to me, but mostly just spoke to Rick.  It's a little obvious that I speak no Spanish, Shelley speaks some, and Rick speaks really well.  

The food was amazing, although it took forever to get to us.  I guess that's just an Argentine standard.  Also, they had to be very clear on ordering water without bubbles.  I guess carbonated water is the norm, too.  I had my first experience with pate on the bread they gave us at the beginning.  I'm not sure if it was my pregnant taste buds, or being starving, but I loved it.  

I didn't mind filling up on the bread before my pasta came, because Shelley had warned me that the portions are smaller here than in the US (not surprising). But when my plate came, it was such a huge serving of pasta that I barely had a fraction of it.  No matter, I'd just take the leftovers home and have it for another meal or two.

But alas, it fell victim as the first miscommunication of the trip.  The waiter asked me something in English that I understood to be, would you like to take it out?  So I said yes.  But I guess he meant just taking it off the table for me.  I never saw that pasta again.  I felt bad for practically wasting a whole meals worth of food that the Allisons had treated me to, but I also had been so excited to eat more if it because it was so good!  Oh well, there hasn't been a shortage of delicious food to be had.

We rode the bus home, and I felt a little like I was taking my life in my hands.  Everyone drives crazy here, including the buses.  There isn't a flat fee when you get on; the driver has to calculate what you pay based on where you want to get off.  He was typing in fees on the pad next to the steering wheel while driving.  No one else looked like they were afraid, so I wasn't either.  And obviously we made it!


This morning we got to enjoy a thunder storm with rain to match.  I decided Theo and I would go out in the rain and have a watery adventure, and when Rick heard, he asked if he and Jett could join.  Of course, but only if Mora could come too.  


So Jett geared up in his swim suit, and the five of us embarked on our adventure. The boys got instantly soaked jumping in puddles.  Theo had to play in every doorway we passed, and look through every shop window.  Unfortunately, many of the shops don't have doors, so I was doing lots of refereeing as well.


One of the favorite activities was Rick taking their hands hand having them race Mora. Theo had never played in warm rain before, and he was loving it!


We walked to the park, and that was a muddy wet mosquito-filled adventure of its own. Only one or two other doggies were there, no other children, and we had free reign of the whole area.  Mora got to go off-leash for the first time since they've been back, and she had a blast!  She usually doesn't like being wet, but today was the exception.

We didn't stay too long, seeing as we were getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.  But the walk back was lovely, and we even stopped to get Subway for lunch to take home. We may have to have a watery adventure again sometime.


And I must give Rick the shout-out he deserves.  He has been so great with Theo.  He got up with the boys this morning and let me sleep.  He took Theo the other day when I was feeling so exhausted and Theo was being a terror because of teething. (sidenote, teething molars on vacation is not a great idea.) I just can't say enough about how awesome Rick has been in helping with Theo, and therefore making my life a whole lot better.  Thanks Rick!

2 comments:

Sara Passey said...

Corbin came of from dinner and games last night. We missed you! I especially felt out numbed! That bookstore looks amazing! Have fun!

teridmama said...

Thanks for the info Julie. That bookstore looks awesome! What a fun place to go!

Love you!