Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Teatro Colon and the Children's Hospital

Neat costumed mannequins were in the lobby

Yesterday, we met Rick after work at Teatro Colon, apparently one of the top five theaters in the whole world.  I believe it!  It was so gorgeous, and we got to take a tour. 


It was so huge and grand that I gawked the whole time.   We took the tour in Spanish so we wouldn't have to wait longer (the boys were already drawing to the end of their ropes before it began).  Shelley did a great job of translating the important bits.


When Theo was getting out of hand, Rick took him out of the group to walk around.  Near the end, he just took him completely outside and went to the park across the street.  Wow, that was nice. I sure like that brother-in-law of mine.


By the way, on the taxi ride there, we rode on the biggest street in the world, Nueve De Julio.  It was as wide as a Southern California freeway, maybe wider, but there were stoplights and everything.  It was pretty crazy.


I'm sad this picture of the stained glass didn't turn out, but many of he ceilings were beautiful stained glass with all kinds of pictures on them.  And because the sky was so bright, they looked even more stunning. 


This room was my favorite, and it wasn't even really a room.  It was more of a majestic hallway.  There were mirrors on either end, so you get the infinity effect.  The pillars, chandeliers, gold leafing, couches you weren't allowed to sit on because they're too fancy, it was all wonderful.  And the ceiling was painted with a lovely pastel heaven-ish scene, I wish I could have done it justice.  And of course, there is Rick chasing Theo around.  It was not quite Theo's type of prime environment. 


Then of course there was the big theater.  Our group sat in the box meant for visiting presidents and dignitaries.  Walking through the be-curtained doors and sitting in those plush chairs made me think, "I am not nearly fancy enough.  I don't belong here." And not just in the box, but in the whole theater. It was seriously so huge and beautiful.

 And Theo proved that the acoustics are impecable.  I pulled out my phone to take more pictures, and he wanted to watch Mickey Mouse on it instead. When I said no, the big meltdown happened and Rick took him out out. I swear we could hear him until they hit the park grass.


 On the ceiling of the theater, there was a dome with a painted scene of cherubs and all the rest, and the names of the great composers incorporated into it, like Mozart and Beethoven.

We got to visit the box on the proscenium where the president of Argentina sits when he comes.  And my, I have never seen a proscenium painted so lavishly and with so much molding.  It took my breath away.


So besides my out of control tired child, it was an awesome experience.  I'm so glad I'm getting to have all these awesome adventures with the Allisons!

Selfie while we were waiting for the tour to start.

Today, we all took Mora on her afternoon walk.  We ended up making our way to the Children's Hospital.  It takes up a whole block, and painted on the outside walls were murals of all different kinds of scenes.  There were cartoons like Handy Manny, Batman & Superman, Spiderman, and Doc McStuffins.  There were movie scenes like Finding Nemo, Alice in Wonderland, the Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc, and the Wizard of Oz.  Then there were nursery rhyme pictures, artsy pictures, and huge paintings of the founder of the hospital and the Pope. 

It was so fun to see all the hard work and creativity people put in for the hospital. It also made me want a space to paint a mural. That would be so fun!

Lastly, look at these sweet loves!  As I was putting Theo down for his nap today, he saw Shelley pass by the bedroom door.  The whole time I sang him songs, he cried for "Mama," meaning Shelley.  That's because she's the nice mama.  He'll always ask her to hold him, or to give him treats.  Later today he was asking me for a treat, and when I said no, he turned right to Shelley.

Also, Theo got into the bidet three times before 10 this morning.  And he can now open the fridge by himself.  What are we going to do with ourselves?

1 comment:

Whitney Hardie said...

Shelly is such a nice mama - it's true. I'm so glad you're having fun and can't wait to see you when you get back.

P.S. Today I had to park my car on the road and walk the remaining distance to my destination because the road was so icy that even the salt truck was in the ditch. Yeah, be glad you're in South America.