Saturday, July 12, 2014

Hodge Podge of Stories

 When your son gets to choose his own clothes...
 When your son is helping you fold laundry...
When your son eats a delicious pudding treat...

 Corbin is in intramural softball right now, and Theo and I got to attend the latest game.  It was a gorgeous day, and we had a great time.  I was impressed with how much Theo has grown in the last year, because last summer, he was running around the field and I was having to chase him non-stop, calling out commands that he either didn't understand (unlikely) or didn't care to heed (much more likely). This year, though, I sat on the blanket the whole game.  Corbin would entertain him while he waited to bat, and when they were in the outfield, Theo desperately wanted to go be with Daddy, but he listened to my instructions and stayed on the sidelines.  I count that as a little miracle, because it made the whole experience much less stressful on my hugely pregnant body, and way more fun.  Plus, Corbin is a dreamboat power hitter.

(written last night) Corbin had a gig tonight, but before he left, he helped me put Theo to bed, he did the dishes, cleaned up the kitchen, picked up the living room, and gave me a back rub. I was pretty near tears with how grateful I was, because all day I'd been feeling on the verge of being overwhelmed.  I knew I wanted help, I just didn't know what kind I wanted.  But Corbin made a huge difference tonight.  I'm so blessed to have a thoughtful and caring husband.

This morning, Corbin snuggled with Theo when he got up at 6, then they both got up at 7 and went to the grocery store to do the big shopping.  I love those boys, but I'm especially grateful for Corbin putting in the extra effort before being gone all day to record with his band.

I recently told Corbin a story from my childhood, but halfway through, realized it could have been a story about one of my sisters, or a made up memory all together.  So when I called my mom to confirm its truth, I was surprised to hear that it was me, it was true, and it happened when I was 4 or 5. 

Mom was driving me home from preschool, and I had a little art project paper in my hand.  I was sticking it out the window, letting it flutter around.  As I remember, Mom told me not to do that, because I could lose it, and I thought, "of course I won't drop it!"  But sure enough, the paper flew out of my hand.  I remember my mom stopping the car and running into traffic to grab my paper out of the street.  As I thought back on that, I was touched at my mom making the effort to retrieve my project, when she just as easily could have said, "I told you so," and drove home.  But it made a difference to preschool me.  I hope I can be as thoughtful and caring as my kids grow up.

2 comments:

Paul Chatfield said...

You are SOOOO cute, Julie! I hope Ruby won't lose herr picture out the car window. But, if she does, I'll bet you'll stop and get it, too.

Kendall Miller said...

Theo really is growing. I teared up when you talked about the things Corbin was doing for you. Tell him that nothing could bring me more joy than knowing what a good father he is.