Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Washington: Part I


After a whirlwind adventure all across the country, we are back in good old Ithaca.  Of course we are met with extreme humidity and cloudy haze, but it’s our home and it is beautiful.

Over the next few posts, I will be sharing with you stories and photos from our adventures.  This is a selfish endeavor.  I know reading travel logs isn’t very interesting to the general public, but these posts will act as my journal, and I’m sure I will look back on these and smile.  So here we go!

This was Theo’s first experience on a plane, and he did amazingly!  In total, we did about 15 hours of air time, which translated into many many more hours of travel time.  He never had a melt down, he barely even cried or fussed.  Since Theo is under two, he was an “infant in arms,” and he is far too busy to sit on a lap for any extended amount of time.  Anyone who has seen him at church knows this.  But through lots of wiggling around, snacks eaten, and videos watched on our phones, we made it. 
 
 

The best airport we stopped in was a layover in Minnesota.  We had an hour to kill, and they had a playground.  I will forever praise that unlikely beauty of an airport.



Tuesday

On our first day in the Tri-cities, we woke up at our bodies’ normal time, which happened to be 4:15 local time.  After a day or two, Theo adjusted fully.  Corbin and I… not so much.  But at least we don’t run around the house screaming and crying when we wake up, which I’m sure Teri was happy about. 

We spent the day with Kendall, going to the park by his home, and meeting Heidi for lunch at a yummy Greek restaurant.  After a large cup of ice water was mysteriously spilled into my lap (Theo), we decided to take a break for a change of clothes and a nap. But when we were ready, it was back to Nama and Papa’s house for dinner.  We got to go meet baby Ryken afterwards.  It was well worth the wait to see that little bundle of cuteness and joy. We finished off the night by watching TV with Teri.  I went to bed at 9, because I am a total party animal!




Wednesday

The morning was pretty relaxed, waking up at 5:30. We got to visit Grandma Teri at work, where Theo performed all his best tricks for her coworkers and patients. Corbin and I watched the Avengers while Theo napped. Once Teri got home around lunchtime, we were whisked off to Spokane!  The drive was lovely. We met the Shaffers at their home, and had such a fun time playing with Caitlin and Lainie, chatting with Claudia, and Mitch showing Corbin stuff on his computer (I’m not sure what.  I was busy chasing children all over the house).  Theo thought Caitlin’s wheel chair was pretty cool, and Lainie was the sweetest cousin to dote on him.

We all went to Caitlin’s final baseball game of the season.  It was such a joy to see her out on the field with those other sweet kids.  She even got a good whack at one.  Theo and Lainie were very busy checking out bats, digging up sand from the diamond, and eating delicious snacks. The game ended with all the kids getting little trophies.  I sure love that Caitlin girl!

 
After a dinner of Chipotle burritos, we said our goodbyes and headed back to the Tri-cities.




Thursday
       Corbin took pity on me and let me sleep in, while he and Theo visited his good friend Tracy.  I’m glad Corbin stays connected with his peeps there.  From what I hear, she just about ate Theo up.  I heard that the second he walked into her house, he went straight to her and wanted to be held. What a charmer.
 
Teri and I took Theo to the park while Corbin rested.  I’m glad that Theo loves other kids, even though he might show it by trying to push them around.  And Grandma Teri just about saved his life when he almost catapulted off a slide!

That night we met up with Kendall and Heidi for a concert in the park.  Apparently it’s a weekly even all summer called Live at 5.  Austin, Kira, and the kids joined us too!  There were food vendors (we got some suuuuper delicious BBQ), bouncy houses, and plenty of doggies to stalk.  The band was great too.  Jace and I had our own personal dance party at one point. It was this night that I realized the true beauty of visiting family, when Corbin and I could sit and relax while Heidi chased Theo all over the park.  If I didn’t know she loved the stuffing out of him, I would have felt bad. But it was a lovely break.  Thanks Heidi!
 
Afterwards, we met Christie and Adam at Dairy Queen.  We’d met him on Tuesday, but I actually got to talk to him this night.  Christie, you found a good one!  I’m so glad we got to meet him before the actual wedding, because he is A+ quality human.  I’m excited that he’s joining this crazy bunch!  Anyways, the ice cream was delectable, and the company even better.
 
 
Corbin and I finished off the night by playing Dominoes with Teri.  I’m so glad she turned us on to that game, because it is one of my very favorites! It was kind of tough enjoying it properly since I was dog tired at 10, but it was still fun to chat with my Mama-in-law.
 
To Be Continued...

1 comment:

ChrAstie said...

Aww thanks Julie! I'm very to have found a great man in Adam!