Friday, June 28, 2013

Washington: Part II


Friday


This was a day dedicated to Teri, and not in a way we had planned.  The morning was really fun.  We played at a park by the river with the Austin Millers.  Theo only walked into the river momentarily, but he loved it.  I enjoyed snuggling with Ryken, watching the boys play on the toys, and chatting with my love Kira.  I’ve really missed chatting with her about life, so it was nice to have at least a little one on one time.  Her humor, mixed with her sensitivity is a winning combination that I can’t get enough of!  Plus her kids are really cute.
 

We all went to Quizno’s for lunch, and a good time was had by all.  Teri gave Jace a pickle to try, and Kira said she felt like a bad mother for letting him eat garbage.  Hilarious!
 
 

After we said our final goodbyes to those lovely folks (Austin had to go study for his final first year exam.  I’m so glad he took a break to come play with us!) Teri took us to visit Millie at her place of work. On the walk through the parking lot back to the car, Teri took a tumble and ended up fracturing her ankle! 

 
Corbin took her to urgent care, where she got x-rays, crutches, and an order to put absolutely no weight on her foot.  That is not the news a grandmother wants to hear when all her grandbabies are there for the playing.  Claudia and the kids, along with Christie and Adam came to hang out.  If I were Teri, I would have died of anxiety from the toddlers constantly running within inches of her cracked bones.  But no more accidents happened, and a good time was generally had by all.  Pizza for dinner, dominoes after baby bed time, and the day was over.

 The following is photos courtesy of Millie:
 







Saturday

Corbin and I were determined to go to the temple.  I was so sad that Teri couldn’t come with us, but I’m glad that we went.  In hindsight, we should have made a better babysitting plan.  We left Theo with Teri until Claudia came to help, but a woman on crutches is no match for a very busy toddler in a not-so-child-proofed house. It worked out, and no more bones were broken. Despite the hiccup of Corbin forgetting his recommend at home, we made it to the session and we had a wonderful time.

We met up with Kendall and Heidi and the crew for lunch at Outback.  Yummy and fun, what need I say more?

After a nap at Teri’s, we went back to Nama and Papa’s for a Father’s Day BBQ.  It was great seeing so much of the family, and wonderful to celebrate Kendall’s being a great dad.  Sidenote: Corbin is also a wonderful dad.  Maybe someday he will have his very own BBQ. End Sidenote.  We played with tiny animal toys, found berries in their garden, played with doggies through their fences, and ate lots of good food.

 

Sunday

    We spent the morning relaxing and getting ready for the day.  Church didn’t start til 1, so there was no rush.  We drove out to West Richland to see Christie and Adams lot where their house is being built.  Even though it’s well on its way now, there was pretty much just foundation when we went.  It was still very exciting, and I’m so happy that they will have a home to call their own. 

We went to church and schmoozed with all of Corbin’s friends from the old days.  I mostly chased a child all over the building, but it was fun.  We terrorized a nursery class, and found out that the doors to the outside just push open. Teri was a champ, crutching around and being awesome.

The rest of the day was spent at the park, and playing games.  Teri taught us Cribbage, and I think I’m in love.  In fact, we ordered a Cribbage board yesterday.




 

Monday

This day was spent packing and cleaning.  One good thing about Teri being laid up is that she couldn’t stop me from cleaning her house.  I didn’t do much, but I tried to erase my baby’s footprint on her home.  We loaded up on snacks, said our goodbyes, and were off to the airport. 

Kendall and Heidi came to the airport to wish us well.  They let us borrow a car for the week (which was very thoughtful and appreciated), so we handed off the key.  After hugs and kisses, we were past security.  While we waited for the plane, Theo reached into a stranger’s snack back and stole some food.  Then we found another toddler going on the same flight, and shared toys and snacks with him.

Our layover was in Salt Lake City, and I didn’t realize how much I missed those mountains until I saw them.  It was a happy feeling to be there, and remember all the time I spend next to them, and the memories I made there. I can’t believe it has almost been a year since we moved away, but I will always have a special place in my heart for Utah.

We made it to Long Beach, jumped in the car with my dad, and off to Redlands we went! We finally reached home at about 10 or 10:30, and it was a welcome sight.
 
To Be Continued...

No comments: