Monday, January 28, 2008

When mom called me last night, I was pretty excited to talk to her, because I thought she was calling me back from one of my earlier efforts to talk to them. But after the customary "how are you?"s, she told me she had a little bit of sad news. "President Hinkley passed away about an hour ago." At first I was in some shock, then I jumped out of my seat and went around the apartment trying to find a roommate. I just looked at Juliet, and she said she already head. When I sat back down, I saw Leesa walk past my door, and we looked at each other. She was on the phone too, and she had tears in her eyes. After mom and I got off the phone, I went and found Leesa who had gone to Lacey's apartment. We didn't talk much, but hugged a lot, and went to ward prayer. That was one of the most powerful ward prayers ever. The spirit was so strong. I didn't cry at first, because I was so happy for him to be up in Heaven. But the moment I thought of his reunion with his wonderful wife, my heart melted for them, and the tears wouldn't stop. All the boys at ward prayer were so sweet to all the girls who were crying. A member of the bishopric said the prayer, and he got pretty emotional. We sang Sweet Hour of Prayer, and We Thank Thee Oh God For a Prophet. I couldn't have sung more than a third of each hymn, because they were touching me strongly at that moment.
I'm going to miss President Hinkley, because he was such a great man. He was sweet and caring, and you could feel it every time he spoke. His humor was always welcome and enjoyed, and his council always wise. I am truly thankful for my prophet, and I am so glad to be a part of this gospel. It will be exciting to see what happens in the next conference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How neat you had a ward prayer meeting to go to. It is hard adjusting to the difference of him not being here, isn't it.